Keep checking back for updates, or sign up for news alerts at the bottom of the page. This is an early edition. So much more to come.
* Hospitals are organized according to state and states appear in alphabetical order. Note that there are no rankings.
*If a state is not listed, the hospitals in that state are still being evaluated or TCR is not currently recommending any veterinary hospitals in that state.
- Animal Medical and Surgical Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
- Close to Phoenix
- VCA Animal Referral and Emergency Center of Arizona (Mesa, AZ)
- Close to Phoenix, Scottsdale, Boulders Resort
- Veterinary Specialty Hospital of San Diego (San Diego, CA)
- Now owned by EthosVet
- Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital of UC Davis (Davis, CA)
- VCA West Los Angeles
- Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital for Small Animals (Fort Collins, CO)
- Cornell University Veterinary Specialists (Stamford, CT)
- Opened in 2011.
- Stamford’s only 24/7 veterinary hospital, and the state’s largest collection of board certified veterinary specialists.
- This is TCR’s top recommendation for Fairfield County with the caveat that we strongly encourage those of you who are able to make the commute and are not emergency cases to go to the Animal Medical Center in New York .
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- Marathon Veterinary Hospital (Marathon, FL)
- The only 24/7 and AAHA accredited veterinary hospital in the Florida Keys
- Veterinary Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Group (Annapolis, MD)
- Tufts Foster Hospital for Small Animals (North Grafton, MA)
- Tufts is ranked #12 veterinary school by U.S. News
- Close to Boston, Providence
- Michigan State University Veterinary Medical Center (East Lansing, MI)
- Animal Emergency & Referral Center (Flowood, MS)
- Close to Jackson
- Affiliated with Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- ORADELL ANIMAL HOSPITAL (PARAMUS)
- RED BANK (MOUNT LAUREL, NJ)
- See above.
The Animal Medical Center is widely regarded as the best veterinary specialty hospital in the United States, if not the world. The AMC is also the country’s largest non-profit veterinary teaching hospital.
- BLUE PEARL DOWNTOWN (NEW YORK, NY)
- TCR does not recommend this hospital unless travel to the AMC is not possible in an emergency. The Canine Review’s first choice in veterinary care is The Animal Medical Center. However, in the event that you do use this hospital for any serious medical issue or emergency, we recommend moving to or seeking a second opinion at the AMC when possible.
- BLUE PEARL MIDTOWN (NEW YORK, NY)
- Please see above.
- East End Veterinary Center (Riverhead, NY)
- The only 24/7/365 veterinary hospital in Suffolk County. Also VECCS-certified (Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society). Keep their information on hand if you are taking your dog out east.
- · Guardian Veterinary Specialists (Brewster, NY)
- So far, the new and much-anticipated 24/7 specialty hospital appears to be having trouble with its people skills, based on this flooding of negative reviews.
- Not every client comes away dissatisfied, however. In 2018, billionaire heiress and equestrian Georgina Bloomberg of North Salem wrote a series of posts on her Instagram account praising and thanking GVS for caring for one of her dogs.
- There are a few truly excellent doctors whom the hospital has been able to recruit, though most of those top docs are only there one day per week.
- We strongly recommend KBVC unless this hospital is closest in an emergency.
- We strongly recommend the AMC for complicated cases or major surgery.
- If you can’t travel to Manhattan to the AMC, our second recommendation for specialized care would be Cornell in Stamford.
- The rehabilitation therapist, Linda McMahon, has a very good reputation.
- VCA KATONAH BEDFORD VET CENTER (BEDFORD HILLS, NY)
- The Canine Review’s first choice for routine and emergency veterinary care anywhere in Westchester, with the caveat that those for whom the hospital is also the dog’s primary care provider are going to have access to the best overall care here.
- Because KBVC is both a general practice and a specialty/emergency referral hospital, KB’s policy is not take GP clients who come in via referral from an outside DVM, so as not to discourage other veterinarians in the area from referring patients to KBVC. In other words, when a person is referred to KBVC by his or her existing primary vet and then realizes how much better KBVC is than whatever non-24/7 practice without board certified specialists they’ve been using for primary care, that person is not permitted, at that point, to switch to KBVC. (Disclosure: TCR’s Editor-in-Chief is a longtime, regular client.)
- OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY VETERINARY MEDICAL CENTER – COLUMBUS, OH
- UPENN VETERINARY SCHOOL – RYAN HOSPITAL (PHILADELPHIA, PA)
- Tied with Ohio State, NC State, and Texas A&M for #4 vet school
- Veterinary students do work with owners and patients
- Charleston Veterinary Referral Center (Charleston, SC)
- The only VECCS (Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society) Level I Certified veterinary hospital in South Carolina.
- Nashville Veterinary Specialists (Nashville, TN)
- University of Tennessee Vet School Small Animal Hospital (Knoxville, TN)
- TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY SMALL ANIMAL VETERINARY TEACHING HOSPITAL – COLLEGE STATION, TX
- UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN VETERINARY CARE (MADISON, WI)
- #8 Veterinary School in U.S. News ranking
- Dog Owner Buys Super Bowl Ad to Thank Vets for Saving His Dog https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2020/01/28/lucky-dog-super-bowl/
Be sure to check back for updates to this list as this is a preliminary edition!
Neither The Canine Review, nor its reporters, nor any of its editors receive or have ever received financial compensation or incentives of any kind from the entities that appear on this list. All TCR reporters have clauses in their contracts which state as follows: “You represent and warrant that you do not have any conflicts of interest associated with the subject of the Work that you are assigned, including having been employed or retained for free-lance assignments or turned down for employment or free-lance assignments by the subject of the Work, and that no members of your immediate family have any such conflicts that have not been disclosed to your supervising editor.”